16 September 2011

My son cried at football practice

It's not like it was a bawling cry. He didn't keep practice from continuing with a full onslaught of tears and screams. He didnt' stand in the middle of the field and wail, with his hands over his eyes.

But it also wasn't a cry of pain. He didn't get hurt. He didn't just lose the last game of his college career. He's in flag football. It was practice. He got disciplined by a coach because he wasn't following directions.


So, my take on this all: Maybe we shouldn't be playing 2nd grade flag football. Maybe it's too soon.

I don't know. I'm just a guy who would love for kids to pay attention to coaches and be able to follow directions so that they can learn how to have fun PLAYING the game. My son did tell me that Thursday's practice was better than Tuesday's because, "We learned to not 'pig-pile' in the end zone." Yes, son. That's nice. But ... dude ...