16 June 2011

The solution ... and the curse

It's a great 'baby-sitter' for when I want to get something done. I have a quick "Yes" response all set when I need to do laundry, work on our finances on the computer, or otherwise do chores around the house (those that I can't use the kids' help with, of course). It is something that keeps them occupied and that I can control. It's the television.

They will not watch 'bad' shows and seem to learn from the TV in the same way that I thought I always used to. But it's also a curse. They ALWAYS ask to watch. I'm not sure that they know how to PLAY at times. If there isn't another friend with whom to play, or a specific task or game to play, they think that they are 'bored!' and need more input from me. They complain. They whine. They need me to decide what they should do.

Sometime soon, I will be stoking their imagination by telling them that the television is off-limits for a couple of days - and we'll see what they can come up with for fun. Of course, I'll be the one in trouble, because I'm not sure I can go any amount of time without either watching it myself - or using it as the baby-sitter.

Oh well.